Instant Pot apple crisp ingredients
This Instant Pot apple crisp recipe is quick and easy, and lets the apple flavor to really shine. And here, the pressure cooker isn’t the only time saver. The topping is made with granola! Using granola brings in some seasoning and sweetness. Of course, you’ll want to use a top of the line granola: organic if possible!
What are the best apples for apple crisp? We recommend using any tart cooking apple for this Instant Pot apple crisp recipe. Granny Smith will do, as will Cameo, Baldwin, Cortland, and Jonagold apples. Here are all the ingredients you’ll need for this Instant Pot apple crisp:
- Organic granola
- Brown sugar
- Coconut oil
- Maple syrup
- Cinnamon and ginger
Now, this Instant Pot apple crisp is a little different: you’ll garnish the crisp after it’s cooked! This adds a beautiful freshness. When you scoop it into bowls, top with little lemon zest and additional cinnamon for a boost of fresh flavor. Topped with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, it’s one of our favorite apple recipes.
Tips for making Instant Pot apple crisp
This Instant Pot apple crisp is quick and simple! The basic steps are that you’ll combine the filling ingredients in the bowl, then top with granola mixed with brown sugar and coconut oil. Then you’ll Pressure Cook on high for 2 minutes and do a quick release. Then you’ll remove the lid and let the crisp sit for 5 minutes to thicken up. That’s it!
A few important notes about this Instant Pot apple crisp before you start:
- If you use your Instant Pot (pressure cooker) to cook savory items, the sealing ring on the inside of the lid can sometimes pick up flavor. You may want to check the plastic seal on the lid before you make a dessert. If it has an odor, soak it in vinegar for a few hours. We have purchased 2 Instant Pot sealing rings: we use use one for savory recipes and one for sweet recipes.
- Expect a chewy topping! Since this apple crisp is cooked in a pressure cooker, the granola comes out with a chewy texture.
- Make sure to garnish! A sprinkle of lemon zest mixed with cinnamon brightens up the darker flavors of the crisp. Then serve with vanilla ice cream, vegan cinnamon ice cream or coconut whipped cream. (Bourbon whipped cream would also be nice!)
Instant Pot Apple Crisp
(7 votes, average: 4.86 out of 5)
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
This Instant Pot apple crisp made with organic granola is quick and delicious! It’s a cozy vegan dessert recipe that cooks in minutes in a pressure cooker. In this crisp, the oats come out intentionally chewy.
- 1 1/2 cups One Degree Organic Sprouted Oat Vanilla Chia Granola
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup organic brown sugar
- 4 large or 6 small tart apples (like Granny Smith), enough for 5 cups sliced
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, plus 1/8 teaspoon for serving
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup water
- Zest of 1/2 lemon, for serving
- (Before you start, read the note below.) In a small bowl, mix together the granola, room temperature coconut oil and 2 tablespoons brown sugar; you may need to use your hands to bring everything together. (Note: The granola we used was lightly sweet. If using a very sweet granola, you can lessen the sugar in the topping.)
- Peel and slice the apples into about 1/4″ slices, enough for 5 cups, and place them in the bowl of the Instant Pot. Stir in 2 tablespoons brown sugar, then the maple, cinnamon, ginger, vanilla and water. Smooth the apples into an even layer and pour the granola mixture over the top, covering the apples.
- Lock the top of the Instant Pot. Pressure cook on high for 2 minutes. (Note: It takes about 5 minutes for the pot to “preheat” before it starts cooking. During cooking, avoid touching the metal part of the lid.) After the pot beeps, immediately do a Quick Release: vent the remaining steam by moving the pressure release handle to “Venting”, covering your hand with a towel or hot pad. (Never put your hands or face near the steam release valve when releasing steam.)
- While the crisp is cooking, prepare the garnish: Zest 1 lemon. Mix it together with 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon.
- After the Quick Release, remove the lid. Turn off the pot and let the crisp sit uncovered for 5 minutes (make sure Keep Warm feature is turned off). This lets the sauce thicken; the oats will be intentionally chewy, not crunchy. Scoop the crisp into bowls and add a pinch of the lemon zest garnish. If desired, serve with vegan vanilla ice cream or Coconut Whipped Cream.